confused re One Drive synching

Home Windows 10 on Surface confused re One Drive synching

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Sheppard Tony Sheppard 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Tony Sheppard
    Tony Sheppard
    Participant

Hi,
      I’m new to Windows 10, I’m using it on a Surface Pro 4. I’m confused re. file storage and synching between one Drive and my pc. I think I understand the concept of One Drive, in that it allows users to access files from any pc and also makes them available on “This PC”.

However, I wish to use One Drive as an alternative means of storage, to avoid taking up space on my hard drive. I default to save to One Drive but my files get synched to pc, thus storing them in cloud but duplicating – and taking up space on my hard drive.

If I try to delate a file from either location (nb One Drive or pc, it will automatically delete from the other location too.

So then, I would like to be able to choose whether to store a file to One Drive only, My PC only, or both (much the same as with Dropbox). I would hope it’s somehow possible to do that, otherwise One Drive seems of limited value except as a backup too; I acknowledge the importance of backup of course, but I wish to have the option to use One Drive as, effectively, an additional cloud-located hard drive to save storage space on my local pc.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

Joanna Moderator
      Joanna Moderator
      Keymaster

Hi Tony,
        Unfortunately MS kind of broke that functionality with Win 10. But there is a way around it. Check out this video for instructions: https://youtu.be/qm1Of4eFDDY
        Joanna-

Tony Sheppard
        Tony Sheppard
        Participant

Hi Joanna,
          Many thanks for your prompt reply and great advice. I’ve checked out the link which seems a good workaround. Shame MS have gone the route they apparently have with One Drive though…unless I’m missing something of course!!
          Tony

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.