Firmware Update Failure

Home Surface Pro/Pro2 Firmware Update Failure

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Mike Rhoades Mike Rhoades 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Mike Rhoades
    Mike Rhoades
    Participant

I bought a used surface pro 2 this weekend. It has windows 10 on it and it appeared to be in working order. When I plugged it into network and setup Internet access it downloaded a bunch of updates. One of the updates being a firmware version dated 02/24/2016. It failed to install the update and kept getting hung up during the firmware install. I ended up wiping the files and resetting twice and all updates installed.
      However, when I looked at the install history the firmware failed to install. I researched the internet and found the following solution at: http://pureinfotech.com/fix-surface-pro-2-firmware-update-failure/
      By Mauro Huculak December 12, 2013

Instructions
      1 Open Command Prompt (as administrator) and run the following command: NET STOP WUAUSERV

2 Delete the datastore.edb file stored in the following path: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\datastore.edb

3 Open the Run command and type cleanmgr and the click on Clean up system files. Make sure that windows software updates are selected and perform disk cleanup. This will take a few minutes.

4 Restart Windows

5 Run Windows Update, all history will be gone but it will detect the firmware update again and this time it will install successfully.

I followed the instructions, but, when I checked Device Manager after a re-boot I found the “Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware” with a yellow exclamation mark (failed to load).

I deleted the driver from device manager and after two reboots the firmware updated and the error cleared.

Hopefully this helps other with a similar issue.

– Mike

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.