Hello, samsung note pro 12.2 vs surface pro 4

Home Member Introductions Hello, samsung note pro 12.2 vs surface pro 4

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Mihaita CARBUNARU Mihaita CARBUNARU 11 months ago.

• Author
    Miguel Ruiz Ortega
    Miguel Ruiz Ortega
    Participant

I’m looking forward to buy a new tablet since my ipad just died
      i used the ipad with dropbox so much for college (I study industrial engineering) and after looking around i’ve found this two tablets that can take productivity to another level.
      The samsung note pro i couldn’t find it anywhere since they stopped selling it few years ago but i found a used one from 2015 for 320€, and also found a new unused surface pro 4 for 750€.
      As you can imagine, im having a hard time trying to decide which one to buy.
      The note pro:
      -android
      -32 gig HDD (has SD card slot)
      -3 gig Ram
      note taking app: s-note or lecture notes (someone tell me which is best)
      PROS
      -is much cheaper: 320€
      -is samsung, like mi s7 edge (i can sync s planner and other things)
      -has 1 hour longer battery life
      CONS
      -it’s a second-hand product (allthough i can check it’s in good conditions before buying it)
      -is android, that means i can’t run the desktop onenote app from microsoft (only available on widows) which i’ve concluded is the best note taking app.
      -it’s an early 2014 product (which means it might get out dated because of the new android actualizations that the note pro might not support).

Then, there is the surface pro:
      -windows
      -128gig SSD (has sd card slot)
      -4gig RAM
      -intel i5
      -note taking app: onenote( the best and synced with all my MS account)
      CONS
      -it’s twice the price
      -it has less battery life
      -the stylus hangs on the outside (more probabilities to loose it and it costs 50 bugs)
      – a little heavier
      PROS
      -i’ve read handwriting is better
      -came out recently
      -more powerfull overall (less lag for the stylus i assume)
      -there are available pen tips that have different feeling when typing on the screen.

The main use will be multitasking on class and studying, one side notetaking(writing ecuations ) and the other side reading pdf’s.
      I have a big and heavy notebook so i dont care about the gaming and heavy app use on the tablets.

So what i mostly care about is the multitasking capacity (without lag) and even more about the hand writing, i wan’t to substitute paper and pen so this is the most important point and im not really sure about what one is best for this, i’d like to know wich of these gets closer to real writing.

In terms of engineering college productivity, what other apps an feautures am i gonna miss from one or the other OS?

Btw, sorry if my english is bad, im spanish.

Mihaita CARBUNARU
      Mihaita CARBUNARU
      Participant

Hi.
        What did you chose in the end?
        Interesting you are only one you make this comparation but I was interested in this opinions as I have both of the devices.
        If you didn’t buy it yet let me tell more.
        On the price of the surface you have to consider a keyboard, I usually use the pen but I still think a keyboard is a must. Also the surface have the advantage that if you connect it to a dock or a usb hub you can work with it as a full computer and that you will need when you will make a project or any longer work (you will stop using you more powerful laptop as I did).

On the Samsung you have a better on screen keyboard is much lighter and feel more close to a notepad. Also from my experience the battery life on galaxy is muuuuch better that surface not only 1 hour (that is just theory) but the galaxy you are looking at will be used sow you don’t know how much the battery is already degraded.
        If you use onenote, surface is with no doubt the choice as this is made specially for this software and if you plan to use it for uni you will need other software also. For example in mechanical engineering Mathcad, NX, Catia, MathLAB, Word, Powerpoint, and specially EXEL (pc version). Usually you will have the student versions of all of this.
        Also at you future work you will work on a pc and if you use PC versions you will be already used with them when you start it (the job).
        To the other hand. If you use the tablet just to take notes Galaxy pro is better as is lighter and is have an workable battery life but no connection from tablet and your laptop. As calendar you can pass to google calendar as is working very well on android and windows.

I can tell you more but let me just conclude with my personal opinion.

Personally I passed from Galaxy note pro + HP envy 17 inch laptop to surface Pro 3 (Pro 4 now) + dock and a 4k tv as monitor + the clients work station with the CAD software but I can afford them as I already work as an contractor engineer.

Hope this was some help for you.
        Success at uni and future carrier.

Mihaita CARBUNARU

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.