Help to update.

Home Everything Else Help to update.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Steve Reeves Steve Reeves 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Tricia Brooke
    Tricia Brooke
    Participant

I need some advice from the experts! I have a surface RT (around 3 years old). I want to update but don’t know whether to go 2, 3, 4 or pro. I don’t play games or do much with graphics. I am a teacher and have to connect it to a VGA whiteboard, which I do at present with an adaptor through the HTMI mini port. I read something about Miracast but don’t know if that will work with our VGA projectors and if it can be bypassed if it doesn’t work. I need to run office but don’t really want to run office 365 and have to pay yearly updates. I would also like to run windows 10 on it. Reading reviews the surface 3 seems to have quite a few problems, is that right? My present RT has only 5GB left out of 28 and is now very slow. I have cleared it as best I can, all working files are stored on an SD card. I am sure that it has temp files on it but I don’t know how to clear them. Sorry for the ramble but I know shops will just try to sell me the most expensive and don’t always give you the right information. So any advice would be much appreciated.

Steve Reeves
      Steve Reeves
      Participant

OK, there are a couple articles on here to help you cleanup your temp files. Here are the links:

Free up space on Surface tablets – Part 1

Free up space on Surface – Part 3

Steve Reeves
        Steve Reeves
        Participant

Hopefully, some others will weigh in on the upgrade advice, but here’s how I see it. First, figure out how much you want to spend, then try to find the most surface for the money.

I have a surface 3 with 4gb of ram and 128gb hard drive. It’s a fine tablet and I have little trouble with it. But, the emmc storage is rather slow compared to the Pro line’s ssd. So, while the surface 3 would be the least expensive option, it might be worth it to jump to the Surface Pro 3 or 4. The SP3 is still available through 3rd party sellers, like Amazon. The sweet spot for price/performance in the Pro line seems to be an i5 cpu, with 4 or 8gb of ram and 128 or 256gb ssd. If those options are too expensive, then an i3 cpu in the SP3 and the core-m in the SP4 is the way to go. Both options are available with only 4gb of ram and a 128gb ssd, I think. Nothing wrong with that and either would be a great upgrade from your RT.

As for office, I would check to see if you can get an educational discount, as you are a teacher. The school should be able to tell you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.