Mini Displayport connections

Home Surface RT/2 Mini Displayport connections

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Tim Rolston tim 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Gerald Burns
    Gerald Burns
    Participant

I have a Surface 2 purchased earlier this year and am in the process of expanding its use. Based upon what I read in the user’s manual, I bought a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable. The purpose was to set up a slide show at a meeting last night. That was when I discovered that the Mini DisplayPort end of the cable was much larger than the port.

Shortly before I found this site, I came across a reference to the video port on the Surface 2 described as a MicroHDMI connector.

Is that correct? Does the cable have to be from Microsoft or
      can other cables be used?

Thanks for your help.

Gerald

Joanna Moderator
      Joanna Moderator
      Keymaster

Hi Gerald,
        That’s correct. Here is where you can see our comparison for the Surface 2 & 3, including the ports:
        http://www.lovemysurface.net/new-surface-3-vs-surface-2-comparison/

You can buy the cable from anywhere, this is the one I use:
        AmazonBasics microHDMI 2 Pack and it works well with my Surface 2. It comes with two cables, so I keep one in my bag and one at home but you can also get it in a single pack.

Shane Dowling
        Shane Dowling
        Participant

I’ve been having mini display port problems for a while. I have a MDP to HDMI lead but when I use it the external display either flashes or gives weird colors. This is what it looks like http://1drv.ms/1iXjUsH
          It does it on all screens tested although last week I was at a place where the TV actually had a lead hanging out of it but was an Apple (wash your mouth out now!) product with a little white box thing on it (quite possibly an adaptor on the end of a regular HDMI lead) and that did work perfectly. Wondering if it is a faulty lead I have or need one with some different specs?

Tim Rolston
            tim
            Keymaster

I’d guess it’s a faulty lead. I say that because I notice red “speckles” when the connection isn’t just right.

Since your video out is mostly red, I’m thinking there’s a bat contact somewhere.

If you have a Microsoft Store nearby, you can probably take it in there and get it tested out.

Alternatively, Do you have a friend with a Macbook or Surface that can try it out for you to see if the problem follows the lead?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.