does not turn on from shutdown right away

Home Surface Pro 4 does not turn on from shutdown right away

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Pawel Barchanowicz Pawel Barchanowicz 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author
    A. Carter
    A. Carter
    Participant

Kind of a weird problem, but it’s worrying me that it may be symptomatic of some hardware issue. Basically if I shut down the SP4, but then press the button to turn it back on it will sometimes not turn on right away. I’ll have to wait a little while, then press the button again.

Doesn’t seem too crazy, and I have the 2-year MS complete insurance, but I am also about to attach ~$70 of single-use screen protector and skins so I don’t want to have to have that go to waste if I have to replace the SP4 down the road because this issue is representative of a bigger power problem.

Has anybody else had this problem? I know issues about waking from sleep and hibernation can often be software- or firmware-related, but what about from complete shutdown? Does this sound like it has to be a hardware issue? I mean if it’s probably just a software issue I wouldn’t mind waiting for some update down the line that might fix it, but if it’s a hardware issue I’d rather get that taken care of now.

Admin
      admin
      Keymaster

I know I’m stating asking the obvious but when you pressed the power button for the first time, are you SURE that the device is not already turned on with a black screen?

A. Carter
          A. Carter
          Participant

I don’t think so but I could be wrong I guess. When powering down, does the screen shut down first, then the machine? In that case maybe I could be pressing it before it’s totally shut down.

Anyway I figure I will just give it some time since other than that (and once when the onscreen stylus/keyboard box refused to pop up) it’s been working pretty much flawlessly. I’ll just enjoy it for now, since it will be under warranty for a while (though I did recently find out that due to a mistake in communication at Best Buy I got the BB 2-year damage protection plan rather than MS Complete…).

Thanks for the response!

Nat Slater
          Nat Slater
          Participant

Hi there, A.Carter! I’m experiencing the same problem with my machine. In fact just tonight I had to restart it a few times (trying to fix another WiFi problem) and I also shut it down twice. After a few restarts and the second shut-down it refused to turn back on. I kept pressing the button at no avail. After a few minutes it decided to come back to life and when it did, I couldn’t put my pin in as the keyboard wouldn’t come up. To fix that, I had to re-start it again and it worked ok. I’m wondering if you are still experiencing the issue?

Pawel Barchanowicz
            Pawel Barchanowicz
            Participant

Hi
              It’s my first post here
              I seem to have the same problem. I tried tinkering with power settings but nothing seems to work. It happens on pretty irregular basis …. 🙁
              Can be quite annoying especially when I need to open it fast.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.