Setting up the new Surface Pro 4 – log

Home Topic Of The Day Setting up the new Surface Pro 4 – log

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Joanna Moderator Joanna Moderator 2 years ago.

• Author
    Joanna Moderator
    Joanna Moderator
    Keymaster

I’m setting up the new Surface Pro 4. I will keep a running log of interesting\weird\troublesome things I find in the process.
      NOTE: I am moving from an SP3 Win 8.1 To SP4 Win 10. So, this will be an interesting experience.
      Cheers!

Joanna Moderator
      Joanna Moderator
      Keymaster

Only thing during the install that I noticed was different from SP3, was the addition of Cortana screen – that’s because my SP4 comes with Win 10, of course.

After the initial setup and running updates, I noticed that my Windows apps did not transfer over with my profile. Checking on that now.

Joanna Moderator
        Joanna Moderator
        Keymaster

My email accounts did not transfer in the Mail App.
          And OMG! the new Mail App SUCKS! – don’t laugh, I’ve not been using Win 10, so this is a shocker.

Joanna Moderator
          Joanna Moderator
          Keymaster

Office 365 install went pretty easy. Just did it from login.live.com

Joanna Moderator
            Joanna Moderator
            Keymaster

Moving my data using Laplink PCmover. So far, it’s running great. It looks like it’s going to take a couple of hours though.

Joanna Moderator
              Joanna Moderator
              Keymaster

The PCmover has been running into problems. It blue screened once about half way thru the process. I restarted and now after 2+ hours it looks like it moved only one folder of files but left others untouched. I’m thinking I’ll be moving stuff manually -sigh. More tomorrow.

Joanna Moderator
                Joanna Moderator
                Keymaster

Got the PCmover to work. The problem turned out to be a file with a really long name, imbedded several layers deep into folders.
                  I just finished installing VyprVPN – everything was smooth.
                  Now, onto installing my other applications.
                  I have to say, I am not any more impressed with Win 10 than before and I am not happy with having to use it on this new device. sigh.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.