Storage space

Home Surface Pro/Pro2 Storage space

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Kathleen Foley Kathleen Foley 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Carol McKenzie
    Carol McKenzie
    Participant

Hi, My name is Carol and I have a Surface Pro2. I love it dearly, I’m not really too computer savvy but know enough to get me by! I have had my surface for about a year now and have noticed recently that I have used nearly all the storage space available! This is strange because I don’t have many pictures, music or documents stored on it! I only 5G left of 112G and can’t imagine what is using up all the space!! If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I have tried all the disc cleanup etc but this doesnt seem to free up much space! Help!!
      Thanks
      Carol

Tim Rolston
      tim
      Keymaster

Carol,

Are you running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?

If it’s Windows 10, search for “Storage” then pick “Storage System Settings” from the results.

Once you are in the storage settings, Click on your C:\drive and it will analyze your drive to see what’s taking up the space.

Once you know that, it will be easier to figure out how to fix it.

Also, you should consider downloading and running CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) as it will also help. The default settings are fine. Just run the cleaner.

Debbie Dunne
        Debbie Dunne
        Participant

Update to my last post, I noticed after I sent my request the piriform link you provided in a previous post and I downloaded it …….you just found me an additional 5.3GB by providing this link, what a great and easy to use clean-up for my Surface Pro – thank you. However do you consider 5.3GB of storage about right bearing in mind what I am currently using?
          thanks

Debbie Dunne
          Debbie Dunne
          Participant

Hi, I am new to this site and in need of some Surface Pro help, I hope you can otherwise I don’t know what to do next. I have storage problems, currently using 8.1 Windows and can not upgrade to 10 or more importantly do very much with my Surface at all without storage alerts appearing. I located your amazing website and followed your instructions to clean up my Surface disk space/apps and at best right now I have only 0.97GB out of 53.0GB available. I have deleted so much trying to get space and this is what I am using:
            Apps 1.48GB, pictures 909MB, videos 6.26MB, Music 1.81GB, documents 45.9MB, downloads 249MB
            I will try putting recovery on to a USB to free up some space soon, but it still doesn’t make sense that I have so little space when I am hardly using anything. I appreciate the operating system needs a lot of GB but not nearly all of the storage, does it? I am thinking there may be some hidden backups of the system in a different area or partition and I don’t know how to reach them. I am no techie, but I am getting better at it, possibly! Fingers crossed you can help. Thanks Debbie

Joanna Moderator
            Joanna Moderator
            Keymaster

Hi Debbie,
              Your SP2 should have have at least 64GB of space. The Operating System (OS), will take up a large chunk of it. Have you looked at temporary files and deleted everything you don’t need? Is your user profile on your device really large? That is an indicator of huge amount of temp data – look under c:\users\ to see the profiles on your SP2. Does anyone else use your device? And do they have a large profile?

Debbie Dunne
              Debbie Dunne
              Participant

Hi Joanna
                Thanks for your response. I have run CCleaner Professional which has cleaned up and deleted temporary files, I am down to the bare minimum in terms of what I can delete of my own storage and putting as much as I can on to cloud storage. My user profile when I click on properties is at 12.3GB (size on disk 11.9GB). which seems right when I review the files in there. The only other files in Users amount around 900kb there are no other users of my surface.

Joanna Moderator
                Joanna Moderator
                Keymaster

Debbie,
                  So, it sounds like you’ve basically filled up your hard drive. If the OS takes up around 18-20Gb (which is normal), and you have a profile with 12.3GB (is that compressed size?) That’s about half the space already. Add applications to that and the 64GB can fill up really fast. I recommend going to the root of your drive c:\ and right-clicking on each folder and then going to properties to see their size. It’s a manual way to do it but it will give you an idea of how much everything is taking up, so you can identify which folder is the problem. Note that Windows counts the Uncompressed size against your space availability. So, although the files may be compressed, Windows still counts the full amount.
                  Also, have you tried running disk cleanup? And how about Win 10, did you have any failed attempts at trying to install it? There may be residual files from it. Just some suggestions…

Debbie Dunne
                  Debbie Dunne
                  Participant

Hi Joanna
                    It does sound like I have filled up the hard drive from your comments. I think my next move is to put the recovery on to a USB as suggested on your website to create more space. I have run disk cleanup and not tried windows 10 yet as there was not enough space initially, less than 1GB, I used the piriform link Tim provided in a previous post and that gave me 5.3GB, so at least I can now use my Surface and I grateful for that. I don’t think I will be upgrading to Windows 10 as I don’t want to upset the satisfactory level of use I now have with my Surface. Thank you for all your help and advice.

Tim Rolston
                      tim
                      Keymaster

Did it work?

Kathleen Foley
                      Kathleen Foley
                      Participant

Hi!
                        I too love my Surface Pro2 EXCEPT for the storage space issue. I successfully created a USB recovery drive a few months ago – voila! lots of space. I’ve moved all my documents onto a SD card. That helped, too. I even removed all the apps I never use and regularly use the CCleaner. However, the memory space continues to decrease. I’m tempted to buy a new Surface Pro 4 with more memory but since I love the Pro 2 except for the memory issue (AND the newer/more memory machine is $1,300+), it seems like I need to find a better solution for the Surface Pro 2.

When I try to make a new USB recovery drive, I cannot check the option to copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive (it’s grayed out).

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Tim Rolston
                          tim
                          Keymaster

Kathleen,

Are you running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?

I’m asking because you can easily download the USB recovery drive tool for Win 10 here…

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The reason you cant make a recovery drive is because, it sound like, you freed up space by deleting the local recovery partition. (Which it sounds like you needed to do for space).

Kathleen Foley
                              Kathleen Foley
                              Participant

I’m running Windows 8.1. So, do I have any options other than buying a pro4 for $$$?

Tim Rolston
                                  tim
                                  Keymaster

The easy thing would be to upgrade to Win 10 using the recovery image I already linked above (Since Microsoft is eventually going to force you anyway)

And it’s free minus your time learning Windows 10.

Kathleen Foley
                                      Kathleen Foley
                                      Participant

Thanks much, Tim! Worth a try – certainly cheaper than a new Surface.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.