Surface 3 Not charging – workaround

Home Topic Of The Day Surface 3 Not charging – workaround

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Brett SMITH Brett SMITH 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Tim Rolston
    tim
    Keymaster

If you’re having trouble with your Surface 3 not charging, even though it’s plugged in and light is on, try this as a workaround (make sure you do the steps in order):

1. Plug in the USB charger to the Surface 3
      2. Plug in the charger to the electrical outlet
      3. Make sure the Surface 3 shows that it is charging
      4. Shut down the tablet and let it charge

David Nelson
      David Nelson
      Participant

I see that in the Device Manager under the Batteries section it shows Microsoft AC Adapter. The properties show that the driver date is 6/21/2006 with a driver version of 6.3.9600.16384 (I’m on Win 8.1 Pro). This is the same date and version (at least the last 5 digits) as what the MS ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver had. I was able to update the “Battery” driver from your blog post so I was wondering if maybe there was a similar update that could be done with the AC Adapter driver to resolve the charging issues.

BTW, I was going to post this under your blog post but there was no option to do so. Maybe the commenting is turned off now?

Thanks,

David D. Nelson

Tim Rolston
          tim
          Keymaster

Not that I’ve found. The only thing that seems to work 99% of the time is to plug the charger into power after it’s connected to the Surface.

It’s a PITA, I know but, until MS updates something, it’s what seems to do the trick.

Richard Albury
              Richard Albury
              Participant

In my experience, the Surface 3 charging problems stem from the Microsoft cable. Using a quality Micro USB to USB cable (I recommend Anker), I’ve had no charging issues. If you compare the connector on the Microsoft cable to the Anker cable, you’ll see the Anker connector is slightly longer, and I imagine this gives it a more positive connection with the charging port:

Connectors compared

Sandy Butterfield
            Sandy Butterfield
            Participant

i have been struggling with this same issue as has my son who is my go-to tech support for this machine. i followed your advice and found plugging in the USB mini plug first and then plugging in the charger to the wall DID NOT work. however…. i was using a charger that may be putting out dirty power. so i tried it with the charger that came with the Surface 3. IT WORKED consistently. i suspect poor power quality (voltage harmonics from the AC/DC converter due inadequate filtering) is the cause. i recommend all those who are having trouble with this to try a different charger.

thanks for posting this. it got thinking it was a hardware problem which led me to a reliable solution.

Tim Rolston
                tim
                Keymaster

Thanks for sharing 😉

Brett SMITH
                Brett SMITH
                Participant

I have Surface pro 3, the USB charger on the power supply has stopped working I usually charge my phone from there, also charging from the USB port on the computer results in my iPhone 4 buzzing repeatedly, would there be some form of upgrade to improve this?

Thanks Brett

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.