Surface as document camera?

Home Everything Else Surface as document camera?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Joanna Moderator Joanna Moderator 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Jeanine Hughes
    Jeanine Hughes
    Participant

I do love my Surface! I have a Surface Pro 3. I’d like to know if anyone has tried (successfully) to use it as a document camera? I do drawing demonstrations and would love to not have to buy a document camera.

Tim Rolston
      tim
      Keymaster

Unfortunately, no. The camera on the SP3 is not that great for documents. The Surface 3 camera is much better: http://www.lovemysurface.net/surface-3-camera-is-a-huge-improvement/

If you happen to have a Windows Phone, try Office Lens to capture documents. It does a decent job and integrates with OneDrive so the snaps are easy to view on your Surface.

Bonnie Belza
        Bonnie Belza
        Participant

Great, I spend over $1000 on this BRICK and it doesn’t work for taking a picture of a document. What a piece of junk, which is what I told the Microsoft rep at a meeting recently. Great, they fix it in the Surface 3 – so I can spend more money? Microsoft just doesn’t get it. Where can I sell this thing? Or better yet, any hack to put the Surface 3 camera in the SurfacePro3?

Joanna Moderator
          Joanna Moderator
          Keymaster

Hi Bonnie,
            I wouldn’t call the SP3 a brick. It’s amazing for many things. The lack of document camera on it is a pretty well documented issue. The camera was simply designed for other things and doesn’t include the needed auto-focus, see http://www.lovemysurface.net/surface-pro-3-camera-quality/. Though, many folks were disappointed by that. So, Microsoft improved the cameras in subsequent versions of the Surface. There is no hack to change cameras. If this is the main reason you need a Surface, I would recommend that you return the SP3 and purchase one of the other ones.

Bonnie Belza
              Bonnie Belza
              Participant

I’m sorry but I disagree. When i bought this in March 2015 ther was nothing about the fixed focus. Then the battery went south and I got a replalacement in August but the 4 didnt come out til later. why do you think I’d want to spend another bunch of money when this sp3 has been so disappointing? It’s not amazing Apple has been doing more for years All Microsoft has is Office which they are messing up by selling as a subscription. don’t get Me started on the kludgy mess they’ve made of an email service or their instance of having a microsoft account.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Bonnie Belza Bonnie Belza.
                  Joanna Moderator
                  Joanna Moderator
                  Keymaster

Hi Bonnie,
                    It sounds like you are very unhappy with your Surface. When people switching from Apple products, ask me if they should buy a Surface, I always ask them why and what they want it for? because the technologies are quite different and if someone is already used to Apple, likes it, and wants some of the apps, there is no reason for them to switch. It sounds like you may be one of those people. I actually had a co-worker a while back that tried the Surface 3 and decided to go back to an iPad. It is not uncommon. People prefer what they are familiar with and one should only switch if they have a very specific reason. I’m a Windows person, have worked with computers for many years, and have had to deal with Apple in enterprise environment – they are horrid. IMO, Apple makes great consumer products but they are not good in large networked environments where they have to play nice with other technologies. But that’s just me. Surfaces on the other hand, are great in that type of environment. So, all that is to say, that everyone has their own opinion. Cheers!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.