Touch pad keyboard

Home Surface Accessories Touch pad keyboard

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Harry Wood Harry Wood 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Joanna Moderator
    Joanna Moderator
    Keymaster

Recent question from a reader My touch pad keyboard is not working. Only the on screen touch keyboard. Help please!

Joanna Moderator
      Joanna Moderator
      Keymaster

I assume that you mean a MS Touch Cover?
        Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try –
        http://www.lovemysurface.net/keyboard-problems-with-surface/
        Good luck.

Peter Hamlin
        Peter Hamlin
        Participant

I have a new Surface Pro 3, less than a week old. I had problems with the touch cover too.

In my case, it was a hardware fail — I went back to BestBuy and they immediately swapped with a working one.

And also a software problem — I notice that the Surface needs to be asleep when you detach/attach the touch cover — if not the cover will often stop working. Even after I got the new cover, I was still having problems, and I soon figured out that if I only detached the cover when the computer was asleep (just quickly tap the on/off button to put it to sleep) it works fine.

David Thomas
            David Thomas
            Participant

The touch cover keyboard on my Surface pro 3 stopping working altogether yesterday.
              A couple of weeks ago I installed windows 10 (which may be coincidental).
              I wanted to report that I tried all the preliminary steps up to (but not including) the full reset and nothing fixed the problem. However the technique reported of using a simultaneous press of the power and volume up buttons for 15 seconds after a full shutdown got my keyboard working again.
              (see details of this techniqiue in other posts). Well worth a try if your touch pad keyboard stops working.

Tim Rolston
            tim
            Keymaster

Peter,

I assume you got this fixed from your other post?

Harry Wood
              Harry Wood
              Participant

Hi folks….

My type cover keyboard wasn’t working. I did check the link that Joanna put up before. I had done many things. Finally took in to the store to try my type cover on the store display, which worked. I used the store display’s type cover on my Surface Pro 3. Didn’t work at all. So the type cover is not the issue – it seems to be a bad connector. Can the Surface Pro 3 be opened and the connectors replaced? I’m doing a search now, but thought I’d check in here.

Love the site and I often check back here. Keep up the good work!

Tim Rolston
                  tim
                  Keymaster

Unfortunately, no. The entire unit will need to be replaced.

However, before you go that far, try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser. Sometimes they tarnish and prevent a good connection.

Harry Wood
                      Harry Wood
                      Participant

Ugh. Not what I wanted to hear. I have tried the pencil trick already. No dice. I’ll try again, but I don’t expect any results.

I’ve done a workaround – I am now using a wireless keyboard via Bluetooth.

After the warranty expired and everything.

Thanks.

P.S. I didn’t get your reply via email even though I had checked yes for notifications.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.