Trade-In Blues

Home Topic Of The Day Trade-In Blues

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Jeffrey Moss Jeffrey Moss 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Jeffrey Moss
    Jeffrey Moss
    Participant

Let me apologize in advance for a negative post. I am one of those who really tries to be positive and add value, as opposed to a lot of the negative noise that is on the internet. Sadly, I have been wronged and wanted to share my experience for others who may face a similar problem. Here’s what happened to me. I traded in my Surface Pro 3 with the following offer: “Get up to $700 toward a new Surface. Score an extra $100 value when you trade up to a Surface Pro 4.” Sounds like you can get up to $800 if the circumstances are right. Not. What they meant to say was that you can get a minimum of $100 trade-in, and up to $700. Doesn’t sound like extra to me. I called to complain and they admitted a lot of people were confused. They even changed the verbiage. But did they admit they made an error? Not even close. The mistake was not theirs, but their customers for not understanding what they meant. The result, I made a decision to trade-in vs. sell on eBay based on what they promised, and they refused to deliver. Which is too bad, because there’s a lot Microsoft is doing right now a days. It just goes to show, little missteps like this can make a big difference to customers.

Joby Treegoob
      Joby Treegoob
      Participant

What did you wind up getting for your trade?

Jeffrey Moss
        Jeffrey Moss
        Participant

I got the $700 because I traded in a SP3 i7. That part worked fine. It was the extra $100 that went missing.

Joanna Moderator
          Joanna Moderator
          Keymaster

this is good to know because I read it the same as you did. i thought there was an extra $100 in the deal.

Joby Treegoob
            Joby Treegoob
            Participant

If you ask me that’s a pretty awesome trade value even without the extra hundred. I hope if SP5 or whatever comes out in two years or so I get that much for the SP4 if I decide to upgrade.

Jeffrey Moss
              Jeffrey Moss
              Participant

Yes, it’s more of a principal thing and less of a money thing, really. I could have sold the device on eBay for $1000 (before fees), so I gave up quite a bit of money for what I hoped was a hassle free experience. I will say that the trade-in itself went smoothly, so at there’s some good news here. At this point, now that I’ve vented across the internet, I’m just looking forward the SP4 which should arrive in December.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.