Watching movies extends battery life

Home Surface Pro 4 Watching movies extends battery life

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Mark Racine Mark Racine 10 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Mark Racine
    Mark Racine
    Participant

So I was shocked by Microsoft`s claim about the battery life of my SP4. How could they claim that watching a movie could last 9 hours on one charge? When I left my SP4 idle I got around 4 to 5 hours max.

Then I ran some test. When I played an unencoded video, my batter life lasted much longer. What the heck!? So as far as I can tell, when idle (not running anything including my anti-virus program) it had a low CPU usage of 2 to 3 percent. However, the CPU speed stayed around 1 GHz. When I ran a video, the CPU usage went up to 4 to 5 percent but the CPU speed went down to .5 GHz. Overall, running the video actually used less battery power. BTW, encoded videos use much higher CPU speeds and usage.

So I guess what I want to know is how do I lower my processor speed when idle. I tried lowering my min CPU speeds setting when unplugged, but it doesn`t force a lower CPU speed unless I change my max.

Can you confirm if the same is true with your SP4? And if possible, give me some ideas to lower the CPU speed when idle.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.