Windows Hello (IR CAM) not working after hibernation

Home Surface Book Windows Hello (IR CAM) not working after hibernation

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Andreas Schøyen Andreas Schøyen 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Andreas Schøyen
    Andreas Schøyen
    Participant

After my surface book goes into hibernation (after 2 hours of sleep), Windows Hello wont work. It just says “turning on Camera…” and I dont see the red dot on the IR camera to verify its on. This is not consistent with every hibernations but maybe 25% of the time.

After logging into the surface with PINCODE, a simple reboot solves the issue.
      (I cannot see any problems in the device manager pre-reboot or in the eventlog post-reboot)

Does anybody else have the same issue?
      Worth mentioning is that i have upgraded my license to Windows 10 Enterprise

Tim Rolston
      tim
      Keymaster

Others are having the same issue. Have you tried a 2-button hard reset? It seems that this problem usually affects people after a firmware update and the hardware needs “kicked in the head” to start working normally.

A standard shutdown just doesn’t do the trick.

Andreas Schøyen
        Andreas Schøyen
        Participant

I just did the two button reset now, and Ill report back after a few days.
          Thanks for the tip!

Andreas Schøyen
          Andreas Schøyen
          Participant

Hello again.
            The problem is still there 🙁

Julie Nelson
              Julie Nelson
              Participant

I was having the problem 50% of the time on boot up. After hours on hold and talking with tech support I was advised my Surface is defective and the send a shipping label to return it–by the way, I’ve owned it less than 30 days.

After much internet searching–I learned the camera is a common problem and to disable it. Once I did that I no longer have any issues and use a PIN. On functionality less.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.